Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Liberty's Wake

They say every action counts
Every drop spilt, every drop sweated
It's all for the greater good
In the end it's all rated.

Care for the poor and unwashed, they say
And He will take care of you
We will sit back and watch it all
While you fight for what is true.

Am I me? Or am I the masses?
Am I me? Or one of the classes?

Cry not for yourself but for your brothers
They who have not what you have
So we will take everything you can give
And amongst ourselves, we will laugh.

Work for freedom, for liberty, for death
In true spirit, you must flounder
Strive for truth and justice and all that jazz
Walk a straight path, don't meander.

But am I me? Is what I ask
Am I me or just another class?

It has been written for sixty years now
My religion, my birth stars matter
They might be dead but still they preach
And the pages they wrote on torn and tattered.

La liberté ou la mort, is the call
But who do I free myself from?
Breaking my spirit against these shores
Do I deserve another dawn?

But the question is still clear: Am I me?
Or am I just another minority?


0 comments: