Sunday, April 26, 2009

That Kind of Love

Maybe you've heard this tale before

And even if you have, don't stop me
Maybe you've heard of this girl
On a fragile quest against the world.

Oh, I know her, yes sir I do
And I know what color she bleeds
Through remorse and forgotten consequences
It's our souls on which she feeds.

Control, you say? Who is in control?
She has the gear stick up to sixth
Revving through this disjointed valley
Searching for her next newest fix.

Against the system she rallies forth
Stepping on the weak-willed and scared
Spewing venom, gnashing steel
Remembering the pain we all shared.

Across white lines of cocaine and smoke
Broken vials, caps and pills
She pulls the chain and the creature again
No time for sheared minds or wills.

Who's in-charge of my head today? She asks
Knowing there will be no answers
Raging storms of people bereft
Try to stop her like snake-skinned dancers.

And she tugs on that rusty chain once more
And the obedient creature follows
To the dimmest settlement over the hill
Where make-believe truths are swallowed.

It is this party we must rave at, she says
Where ecstacy is my promised whore
She says, it is this party we all must live in
She knows this party is worth dying for.

The chain is breaking but it does not break
As the creature strains against the barb-wired leash
And I know within the creature is me
For that kind of love this is.

0 comments: